background

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

ahh ... money

A year ago, I would have said that I HATED having a budget; what I really meant is that it was hard for me to stick to a budget and not be consumed by it. I knew it was good for me (blah, blah, blah) but it was hard for me to find a system that worked, and I had tried.



Over the first part of this year, it became clear to me that I wasn't "in control" of my finances. Sure, I made more than I spent but that wasn't on purpose, it was just how it worked out (probably mainly 'cuz I dislike shopping). I knew I wanted a better sense of where my money was going and how I could save more. I was getting motivated. Then, I got engaged and was planning our wedding (and how to pay for it) and my roommate, who's rent was going directly into my savings, was going overseas for several months. I had heard of Dave Ramsey ... my brother is crazy about him and over a weeks time, several friends began talking about the envelope budget system.



In June, I started with the envelopes and took a good look at Ramsey's baby steps. The first few months of the envelopes were difficult, I'm not going to lie, but I did learn how to shop better and less and I adjusted the budget once to make things a little easier. Now I am very close to being back to what I had intended to spend each month when I started over the summer. It is really helpful for me not to be consumed by where the money goes (counting receipts and whatnot) but instead, knowing I have a certain amount for each category a month, or week as I mentally separated my grocery budget into a weekly amount.



I was able to make my goal for savings, which I now think was too conservative but I did make it. I also ended up saving money from the envelopes, which really surprised me. This money went into a "honeymoon fund" and that envelope is now bulging. I am not sure what exactly we will use it for, but I an sure it will be fun. For this coming year, I am going to be more specific - maybe have it be a Christmas presents fund or for a special occassion.



For this coming year, I want to make larger goals. I think it was good for me to start small, now I know exactly how much money I have to play around with and where it all goes. And I am motivated to make larger changes. It is good for me to realize how my attitude has changed towards money and that makes me excited to see what comes next.

No comments: