Monday, March 29, 2010
Sunday, March 28, 2010
- The 22nd largest city in the US with over 1.5 million people.
- 277 miles from Rochester, 330 from Hastings and 6,500 from Beijing.
- Packer land, where movement stops for a couple of hours on Sundays during football season and Farve makes headlines daily.
- A short drive to a little cottage on a crooked lake in Northern WI.
- Home to the headquarters of Harley Davidson, Roundy's and Kohls.
- And Marquette University, a Catholic, Jesuit university where Chris recently got accepted to school for the fall.
It does seem a little strange that after months of waiting and praying and talking and planning we actually know where we will call home for the next several years. The day we found out was anti-climatic as Chris has injured his fingers earlier that morning, crushing them between two railroad ties and resulting in bruising and a very tiny fracture, a trip to the ER and a tetanus shot. So, I read him the acceptance letter as he laid on the couch with his hand elevated with ice and some strong pain medication pumping through his body. And later, when I climbed into bed, he mumbled "so ... what do you think of Marquette." A few days later, it was official: we are moving to Milwaukee, a decision which made many people happy (as the other possibly cities were Washington D.C and Toronto) and is a clear answer to prayer.
So, our house became a little work in progress as we (and by "we" I mean Chris, his dad and a friend of ours, with some assistance from our Bosnian neighbor) began panting our entryway and living room cream and continue to work on our retaining wall out front. And we are talking about taking advantage of that small amount of time before he starts school and when I am in between jobs - China, the Boundary Waters, Crooked Lake, hmmmm ... what else? ...
oh yeah, moving.
And I look at our half painted walls and am thankful for friends and family, willing to give their time and energy to help us make our home appealing to potential buyers. I drive into work and am thankful for my job at the WFMC. I look around the room at church and am thankful for the awesome people who we have been doing life with the last several years. I go out and speak words of encouragement to the small stalks growing up towards the sun in our backyard and am thankful for the house where friendships grew and love blossomed.And for a girl who doesn't like change, I am finding comfort in being thankful for the blessings of today and excited in the hope of tomorrow.
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Where Loki sleeps and *sometimes* sits.
When Chris is working, Loki can be found under the desk.
But when Chris is gone, he sits at the top of the stairs, waiting for him.
And recently, in the mornings, he has been sitting under the kitchen table in a patch of sun.
When we are both gone, we think he may sit on the couch, looking out the big windows and I think he uses that time to taste some of my plants on the ledge.
There is now 5 bookcases in our bedroom. Chris moved in some clothes and lots of books.
Monday, March 22, 2010
274. heartfelt conversations
275. A weekend with time spent with both of our parents
276. Being called "sister" at work, here in America, bringing back memories of Africa.
277. the warmth of sunlight
278. Green buds poking up through the earth
279. listening to my husband tell me of the money he saved at the grocery store
280. knowing an exciting secret
281. working together towards making our budget and savings goals
283. being still
284. my hand in his
285. notes left for me
286. finding strength and peace in His promises
287. being excited about the future
288. and hopefully visiting China this summer!!!!
289. using a purse my aunt made me long ago.
290. a car to drive
291. an abundant amount of food in the fridge and pantry.
292. ridiculously clean floors (in order to be ridiculously clean, it had to have been pretty dirty to begin with ... )
293. our dog keeping my feet warm
294. long, multi-colored e-mails to and from a dear friend
295. A girl at AWANA with lime green sun glasses and an off kilter ponytail
These are from last week and need some pictures =)
So far today:
296. My husband is okay after injuring his fingers while working on our retaining wall
297. A father-in-law willing to help
298. calmness after a busy weekend
299. learning lessons (again): Matt 16:26
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
262. coffee brought to me at work
263. a steaming bath after a long day
264. strawberry mango smoothie
265. the sound of rain on the roof
266. dawn breaking through the fog
267. quiet moments in the morning
268. coming home
269. being vulnerable
270. a pancake breakfast around lunch time
271. laundry, clean and folded
272. striving to love extravagantly (wise words from one of my aunts)
Thursday, March 4, 2010
229. snow melting
230. Game night with friends, the first "married" thing we have done with another married couple
231. cuddling fresh babies
232. giving things away
233. and selling things too
234. Day shifts!!!
235. Getting up early enough to eat breakfast before said day shifts. (I haven't done that in years ... )
236. Feeling prepared for the week ahead
237. getting rides home from work
238. celebrating birthdays
239. breakfast made by my husband and friends, ready for me when I got up (it was so pretty, I should have taken a picture)
239a. and the kitchen being spotless
242. my husband making up words just for me
243. a full house with the sights (lots of shoes by the front door), sounds (laughter) and smells (smoked pork) of dinner cooking.
244. good wine
245. a quiet night spent reading
247. Looking for and finding balance.
248. Learning from patient education pamphlets
249. Reading stories of my husband as a young boy courtesy of his (our) sister overseas
250. Reading through Jesus' life and miracles
251. searching the files in my mind for biology knowledge hidden - or maybe lost (mitosis and meiosis)
252. no alarm clock mornings
253. watching Loki slide on the re-frozen ice on top of the side walks. his booties have no traction and it is soooooo funny
254. walking with co-workers during lunch
255. birds singing
257. a conversation at work:
my co-worker: "what kind of soup is that?"
me: "my roommate made it -- it's vegetable/bean/potato soup."
my co-worker: " ... you guys have a roommate?"
um ... oh yeah ... newsflash: she is now in Africa and I am married with a husband-roommate
thanks, Linds, the soup was yummy and reminded me of you =)
258. finding peace from our realtor's website ("people should remember that they are selling a home and not the memories")
259. and words spoken to my husband from a place deep with in me: "leaving will be sad because our time here has been so good."
260. lists here and there of things that I am thankful for 'cuz my week has been full of fun, satisfying and rewarding things.