background

Monday, August 8, 2011

About: theology wives

It's the time of year when the new doctoral students and their families are moving to Marquette so we've met several new students and their wives. It just so happens that the female students are not married - so I am not simply ignoring the husbands. =)

I realized today that I have categories for theology student wives, and that I don't consider myself part of any group. It was strange to realize that I was viewing myself by what I have not done. I don't have any sort of advanced degree. I don't work at a church. I don't proof-read Christopher's papers (hahahaha!). I can't really tell you what he is working on; I can tell you what I think he is working on but those two usually aren't the same thing. Most of the time I have absolutely no idea what the other students are talking about. And I think it'd be fun to sit in on one of Christopher's classes someday (one he is teaching) ... and make a list of the words/phrases/concepts that I don't understand.

But I'm not really sure that any of those things are the point. I could spend a lifetime comparing myself to others and never be satisfied. Or I could be thankful for what I have and realistically work to strengthen and improve my life.

I choose the latter.

And I know the truth - that I was made to be here, working by Christopher's side, being a supportive wife who happens to work at the hospital down the road.

And that is good.


2 comments:

Chris B. said...

I liked this post a lot, babe. And realistically, probably more of the wives are like you than the ones you referred to in your post. I could probably also have a lot of fun spending an evening on your unit, wondering how you are saving people's lives.

lindsay said...

I really enjoyed this post, Rach... makes me miss our evening chats about life and relationships. :)