background

Monday, August 24, 2015

For them

About two months ago I went back to work following my maternity leave after having Elias. I left the night shift hospital supervisor position to work weekends - DAY shift - on a medical/surgical floor. Around that same time, Christopher and I wrote down our personal and family goals for the next several years.

Over the years I have worked for many different goals. I've worked crazy amounts of overtime to pay off loans and go on fun trips with friends. I've worked to save money for a mission trip in Ghana, a down payment on a house and for our wedding and honeymoon fund.

It would be cliche (and not true) for me to say that I work "for my patients" - while I enjoy taking care of (most) patients, the hospital pays me for the hours I spend there and my job - like every other one in the world - involves activities that aren't very pleasant. Regardless, I am so thankful to look back at the many jobs I have had during my career and know that at this point, this job fits the needs of our family.

Today, at this stage in life, I work for them:


I work so that Christopher can write his dissertation during the week and also have quality time with the kids during the week.



I work so that one day these kiddos can run barefoot around our little hobby farm and collect our chickens eggs and pick produce from our gardens.


I work so that we will one day be a professor's family.



I work on the weekends so I can spend my weekdays taking walks, going to parks and juggling nap times.



I work for them. Not just to pay our rent or the grocery bill. I work for our future, for our dreams, for our life.



And in the process, I realize that I am living my dream.



*This could also be known as the post that broke the internet with too much cuteness.*

2 comments:

Chinwe said...

"*This could also be known as the post that broke the internet with too much cuteness.*"

Truer words have never been spoken. Can't wait to see you all!

Chris B. said...

I love you, babe! I am so grateful that you work for us!